Can CBD help you sleep?
Quality of sleep is vitally important to emotional, mental and physical health. Yet, one-third of the UK’s population suffers from insomnia and 30% are found to be severely sleep deprived. . In this article, we look into the importance of sleep for your overall health, its relationship to the endocannabinoid system, and how CBD may help you sleep much better.
Cannabinoids, among hundreds of different compounds in the cannabis plant, have been used medicinally for centuries to improve sleep quality. Your body produces its own cannabinoids as part of the endocannabinoid system. It regulates mood, relaxation, appetite, pain perception, and even cognition. CBD directly interacts with receptors of the endocannabinoid system and has been found to be helpful for improving sleep quality.
Listed below are studies on the links between CBD and sleep:
- The nonpsychoactive Cannabis constituent cannabidiol is a wake-inducing agent 
- Cannabis, pain, and sleep: lessons from therapeutic clinical trials of Sativex, a cannabis-based medicine 
- Effect of Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol on nocturnal sleep and early-morning behavior in young adults 
- Endocannabinoid modulation of cortical up-states and NREM sleep 
- The effectiveness of Cannabidiol Oil for Pediatric Anxiety and Insomnia as Part of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Case Report 
- Effects of acute systemic administration of cannabidiol on sleep-wake cycle in rats 
- Cannabinoids may treat sleep apnea 
Although CBD can help you fall asleep it may also be able to help you stay awake. In smaller doses, CBD stimulates alertness and reduces daytime sleepiness which is important for your sleep-wake cycle. Studies have found in large doses (upwards of 150 mg), CBD decreases sleep interruptions and increases total sleep time. So far, a range of doses from 10mg to upwards of 1300mg have been studied in scientific research for sleep problems, depression, stress, anxiety, and pain relief.
See how our Premium CBD Oil can help you sleep by clicking here.